Thursday, September 20, 2012

Is Disney Secretly Pro-Barefoot?

Although I never noticed this when I was younger, I recently read something pointing out that Disney has a long history of depicting their heroes, heroines and princesses barefoot. And you know what, it's true. Let's go through some of their protagonists:

Aladdin


Tarzan
Original subtitle: "The Erwan Le Corre Story"

Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Kida (Atlantis: The Lost Empire)
No, no one else remembers this one either

Pocahontas

Sleeping Beauty

Giselle (Enchanted--the animated part at the beginning)

Ariel (The Little Mermaid)

Lilo (Lilo and Stitch)


Rapunzel (Tangled)

Mowgli (The Jungle Book)

Man, does Disney have some sort of barefoot agenda? That's a lot of movies. And we haven't even mentioned this one yet:
"The Luna Sandals Story"

...Which makes it all the more ironic that Disney is known for zealously enforcing its requirement that visitors to its theme parks wear shoes at all times. I mean, their mascot is a mouse, for crying out loud. And mice don't wear...
Oh


========================================================

Order my children's book about barefoot running: What Should I Put on My Feet to Go Run?


8 comments:

  1. Nice heads up - I mean feet up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny because we just watched Tangled last night and I noticed that she is barefoot through the entire movie. I started thinking of all the other shows as well but I didn't realize that there were so many. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rescuers (Bernard & Bianca) Chip & Dale Rescuer Rangers etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know is the first time when can see it,this way many charácter without shoes ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Check the publication date. 2012. Moana came out in 2016.

      Delete